The Foundations DO NOT FUND organizations:
- operating outside the United States.
- with audited expenses under $1 million.
- involved in film or television.
- seeking support for festivals, tours, conferences, workshops or seminars.
- seeking support for advocacy or public policy research.
- seeking support for special events, tickets, tables or advertising for fundraising events.
- seeking seed money or support for startup projects.
- seeking support for program-related investments (PRI).
- seeking support for local chapters (the Foundations typically fund initiatives at the national/headquarters level).
- undergoing leadership transitions or with new leadership in place for less than one year.
- lacking demonstrable long-term impact on populations served.
- that are not registered as 501(c)(3) organizations. An IRS determination letter is required to receive funding.
In Limited Cases, the Foundations Fund:
- Endowment grants, provided the organization has an existing endowment with the Hearst Foundations and a track record of strong performance and consistent stewardship.
- Faith-based organizations, provided that the services they offer are inclusive and fit within the Foundations' guidelines.