- Each university may submit two entrants’ work per photo competition.
- Photo entrants do not have to be journalism majors to enter the photo competitions as long as they are attending a university with an ACEJMC-accredited journalism program.
- All photo entries must be appropriate to the competition in which they are submitted and must have been made by the entrant.
- One photograph from each entry must have been published in print or online or both during the time period designated to each competition.
- Entries may be submitted from newspapers, magazines, online media or Web sites.
- If the entry is from a professional publication, a statement from the editor of that publication must be submitted to verify that the photo was the work of the entrant.
- Photos approved for a yearbook not yet published are also acceptable if accompanied by a letter from the department administrator verifying the photo's use in the publication.
This competition is journalism. The content may not be digitally altered significantly beyond standard optimization as in cropping, reasonable adjustments to exposure, color and contrast, etc.
It is not permissible to alter the basic reality of a photograph (with the exception of the "personal vision" category).
No removal or insertion of objects from the photo.
No cloning pixels to create a new image or add to an image.
No radical color changes.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Competition entries are submitted by uploading entry materials to our online application by the chair or administering faculty member of the accredited journalism department at http://compentry.hearstawards.org. Login codes are provided by the program office. If you have not received a login code, please contact Program Director Jan Watten: firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-908-4565.
- Fill out online entry form with the entrant’s name, address, phone number, e-mail, name of publication.
- Images size should be no larger than 72 dpi resolution, JPG format, max size of 1,280 pixels on the longest side (8 x 10).
- Please label your files: Entrant name, university name and category must be included with the images. Ex: Smith_SFSU_Feature_1.jpg.
- Brief caption information will be filled in online for each image. (One concise caption paragraph for picture story/series is sufficient).
- Upload letter from the editor (if applicable) and/or any other additional information under supporting materials.
PHOTOJOURNALISM I: News and Features Photography
An entry consists of a minimum of four images (at least two news and two features) and a maximum of eight images.
News: breaking news, general news or news photos relating to sporting events.
Features: features, portraits, sports, documentary photography.
All photographs must have been taken and disseminated in print or online or both from September 1, 2011 through November 6, 2012.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Tuesday, November 6, 2012
PHOTOJOURNALISM II: Picture Story/Series
Each entry must include one picture story/series with up to fifteen images on any subject.
All photographs must have been taken and disseminated in print or online or both from September 1, 2011 through February 26, 2013.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Tuesday, February 26, 2013
PHOTOJOURNALISM SEMI-FINAL COMPETITION
The semi-final competition is open to the top 12 semi-finalists from the two photo competitions: the five top-scoring entrants from each competition, plus two entrants with the highest scores.
DEADLINE: Entries must be received by Tuesday, May 1, 2013
NATIONAL PHOTOJOURNALISM CHAMPIONSHIP
This event is open to the six finalists who are selected from the 12 semi-finalists.
Photojournalism entries are judged based on the following criteria:
- Photographic quality
- Visual story telling
- Human interest
- News value